Thursday, May 20, 2010

Essay Writing

First of all, I'm finishing up my essay right now, and I'm having a really hard time with it. So that means, no, I don't think I'm an accomplished essayist. I have done a lot better since middle school, but I really don't think I'm accomplished or close to accomplished. 'Accomplished' would be in the A range. And most of my essays this year have been B+ or just Bs. Writing essays is hard you know, especially when the book is Shakespeare and everything is written in sonnet language that is hard to understand. I do get what literary analysis is all about however, it's just that the books have to be more simple for me to understand it 100%.

I'm looking at the rubric now and I notice that I VERY VERY MUCH lack originality. My thesis is basically the prompt, so I'm going to change that a bit so it's less like it. "Repetitive use of 'this shows'." My essay is pretty repetitive, but not in 'this shows'. It's just repetitive in general. But it's hard to find different words or phrases that mean motif. Also, I paraphrase a little bit, instead of actually analyzing it... But that seems like basically it for the 'B or lower' thing. I don't have very many things from the 'A paper' thing either, so don't think I'm calling my essay perfect, because it's basically the opposite of it.

1 comment:

  1. Nikki that's really harsh, you are not a bad writer. Stop being so critical of yourself! And geez a B+ is not a bad grade.
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete